Well, it is finally done - my shed makeover is complete! Here is the BEFORE:
It was a typical "barn" shed and it was painted yellow with white trim and a green roof. Cute for a few years, but it needed a little punch! So, I made it into a Tiki Hut complete with a thatch roof, flamingo lights, painted waves, etc. I SO wish I had a picture because it was really something. LOL!
As the snow melted this spring, it was looking quite awful. The shark lagoon was full of weeds (did I really just type that sentence?), the thatch roof needed to be replaced, etc. After taking a good look at the shed, it appeared that ants were totally hanging out at the tiki bar and setting up shop in the wood trim on the doors. YIKES - time for a big RAID umbrella drink for them! So I ripped all the wood off the doors and decided to give the shed a totally new look...
This is my new shed and I am so pleased with the final result. It has totally given the yard a very calming and eloquent feel. The entire project was only about $40 as most of the stuff was, ironically, already "in the shed". I already had the paint as it is the color I chose for my house (Behr - Hilltop). The scrolls were on sale for $5.88 each and the finial was on clearance at Hobby Lobby (LOVE) for a dollar!
I simply shaped a piece of 1 x 4 and attached it to look like a finial and spray painted it all white. I added new 1 x 4 wood trim because I felt it needed some substantial trim to detract from the barn line of the roof.
I removed all the wood and painted the doors white and then added black gloss paint squares to give the illusion of french doors. I added screen door molding painted white to mimic window grids.
The planter was my Mom's and was just hanging on the wall in the shed and I thought - how perfectly perfect! A little white gloss spray paint and it turned out pretty sweet!
The Bay Lake Tennis Club sign was made from a geranium garden sign I found "in the shed". I simply painted it white, spray painted some old tennis racquet coasters black and used the Rustoleum paint pen in black (my new favorite thing) to give it new life.
The window boxes were a redwood mess that I had sitting on the side of the house - why I was saving them I have no idea but now I'm glad I hung on to them. The brackets were from a thrift store - 50 cents for the set. Again - a little white paint and they worked out perfectly!
I used a 1 x 4s and furring strips to make board and batten shutters.
I originally wanted to have the racquets crossed on the peak over the doors but it was just too much. So I incorporated them into the shutters and I like they way they add a bit of pop to the side. I spray painted two old wooden racquets - I have a collection of about 50 and it was hard to choose which two to ruin. But I love them white.
I ripped out the shark lagoon, buried the blue sand with dirt and mulch and threw some New Guinea impatiens there - I love how clean it looks. On the right side, I had that urn at my front door but I love it in the backyard so much better. I received the clock for my birthday from my sister so I was looking for the perfect place to enjoy it. I cut out about a 3 foot circle used a shovel and straight edge to remove the grass. I really like how it enhanced the shed. Note to self - if I ever do this again - try to pick a day when the heat index is not 115! :-)
*** UPDATE***** Here is the tutorial for the awning:
I was also featured at http://www.thediyspot.com/2011/08/diy-that-caught-my-eye/ by Joselyn and I cannot get her button to work - just wanted to say go visit her charming blog - www.thediyspot.com and thank you!