Ok, so you can see the before and after pictures, but what about the dreaded "in-between"?? LOL The cost was about $115 for all the countertops and I still have one box left for the backsplashes.
Firstly, I removed the wood backsplash and washed down the countertops so they were very clean. Then I simply used a small sponge roller and painted on a white primer which I made gray by mixing in black paint. Then the hard part came. I covered the cabinets and everything in sight courtesy of the Chicago Tribune! I then had the brainiac idea that I would use stone texture spray paint! NEGATORY! It was awful. It worked for others but not for me. So I had to sand that off and begin again. I simply bought a quart of rustoleum flat black paint and it was wonderful. But I still wanted some bling! So I purchased a can of metallic silver paint and a sea sponge and simply had some fun. I sponged on the silver and then sponged on the black over it and repeated this process until I had a granite look with a little bit of pop! Then, I took the Martha Stewart black glitter and sprinkled it everywhere while the paint was still a little tacky. How awesome did this look - I was really getting excited that this just might work! Fingers crossed!
|Gray primer just rolled on.|
|Spray painting in the kitchen... BAD IDEA!|
|Just sponging on silver metallic paint - its almost impossible to mess up!|
Then came the step which had me a little nervous. The final poly coat. I researched this quite extensively to make sure these chemicals could be around food and anything breathing. I am very conscious about my chemicals and such due to my cancers. Everything I read about Envirotex was wonderful. No problems and no risks. So I bought a few boxes at HOBBY LOBBY with my 40% off coupon and was ready to go!
|Envirotex and Martha Stewart Black Onyx Glitter - it's like sugar dust!|
|Always cover cabinets - especially WHITE cabinets!|
|Finally finished at 3 o'clock in the morning. Takes about 24 hours to dry and about 3 days to completely set.|
*** UPDATE AUGUST 2014 ***
I have since changed the color and a bunch of other things but the counters have remained the same. To see updated pictures of this work in progress, click HERE! Thanks!
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
This project was completed in the Fall of 2008 and the counters have help up remarkably well. There is no change in the acrylic top coat - no yellowing or wearing away. I am currently re-painting and sprucing up the kitchen so current pictures of the counters can be found by clicking here.
** Here are two additional posts regarding the counters. Hope these help! **
Answers to additional questions can be found by clicking here.
Thanks for stopping by!