Sunday, August 3, 2014

Interior Window in Kitchen & Dining Room Wall


I installed this awesome window between the old pass thru which existed between the kitchen and dining room.  I found this window on close out for $50 at a local home improvement store.  I had no idea what I was going to do with it but I knew that I could not pass up such a sweet deal!  Here are updated pictures of my ALMOST finished kitchen - cannot wait for it to be complete!










The old pass thru  - just sort of an oddity and it became a place to hand stemware glasses.


These are pictures of the original large pass thru.  It was nice and functional but it was always sort of a strange design choice.


Little did I know that if - on a whim - I held the circle window up that it would fit and could fit perfectly.  I was excited about how it could look!


Years ago, before the internet, before Pinterest,  I used to clip pictures from magazines and catalogs which were intriguing to me with regards to home interiors.  Some I have had since I was a teenager and I still love them after all these years.  I recently came across this picture which, interestingly, I also found on the internet.  It was the interior window placed between a dining room and kitchen for interest and light.  After all these years, this design vision is becoming a reality in MY house!  Pretty cool.


So using some very bright neon poster board for a template - LOL - I measured it out, cut some drywall and two by fours and secured the window in place.





 This is how it looks from the dining room side - it adds a beautiful contrast to the deep navy wall.  It still needs to be spackled and sanded but one room at a time.  :-)


Almost ready to be installed - can't wait to see how it looks!  Fingers crossed that it would fit!  It did!


It was quite tricky cutting the ledger stone to fit around it.  I simply took my time and did it right.


Starting to be able to envision the final product - it was going to look better than I hoped it would.


And the final product - I absolutely love it!  It still allows light to pass thru but adds a touch of elegance to the pass thru.  I'm so glad I hung onto that picture from a magazine all those years.  :-)

Linked to the following party:


Met Monday

9 comments:

  1. Hi there! I've been stalking your kitchen countertop makeover, and I'm still hesitating doing my own. Your kitchen is beautiful and is an inspiration to me. Keep being awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie! Thanks for stopping by! You are too sweet - don't hesitate - you'll love it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! It's wonderful to see something you've envisioned your whole life come to life in your home. Love your blog - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH your kitchen is so lovely. I wish I had run across this site before I tackled my kitchen. Your ideas are
    so refreshing and elegant. I am in love with that round window. You are a very talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I also loved your DIY "granite" countertops post from 2011; that's how I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your countertops! I have been thinking about doing my sickly looking 70's avocado green countertops. One question: how difficult was it to apply the EnviroTex to vertical surfaces?

    ReplyDelete