Thursday, September 29, 2011

AWESOME Product: LOCTITE Repair Putty!

Earlier this summer, I purchased this gorgeous mirror at HomeGoods with the idea that I would like to use it for a ceiling medallion in my NEVER-ENDING dining room makeover.


I took it to a local glass shop to have a hole drilled and it turned out perfectly! The owner said that sometimes with a mirror this thin, it can shatter but I lucked out! YAY!


A few days later, I was really excited to see how it was going to look so I decided to put it up by myself. All was well until one of the wires came undone and the chandelier and mirror came CRASHING to the floor. I think I just stood on the ladder for a few seconds trying to come to grips with my stupidity. UGH!

The chandelier was ok, the mirror DID NOT CRACK (miracle), but the frame shattered into a bunch of little pieces. REALLY? If only I would have waited. I never learn.

So, the other day I came across it again in the corner and thought I am going to try to fix it - impossible as it seemed - I still really wanted to use it on my ceiling. I bought epoxy and glued all the parts together and it didn't look too bad except that if I looked closely, I could where the cracks were repaired.


The big problem was a 1" x 2" gaping hole on the one side. I searched for the pieces that fit it but I could not find them and it appeared hopeless.... or so I thought. Enter my sister - who is definitely the more craftier one between the two of us. She told me about this AMAZING product called Repair Putty. Here is the packaging:


You can basically mold it into any shape you want and it is sandable and paintable! YAY! She actually formed the filigree section with this stuff and it turned out great! Here is a picture before the sanding:


And here is a picture of the finished product - you can hardly tell, right? AWESOME!


Then she left the rest to me. I primed the entire frame white which meant I was starting from square one to get it to look like the original. I think I sprayed it about three different colors and used all types of rub and accent spray paint before I think I finally got it right. Here are the products I used:


Somewhere on the internet - I can't remember where - I read that you can antique something with black shoe polish. GENIUS! So, I gave it a try and it worked wonderfully. Not as bold and permanent as Rub N Buff so it was much easier to work with. I could wipe it on and off with ease and it was very subtle so it could be as light or as dark as I wanted.

Here is my result! It is not perfect but it is pretty close! I am SO excited to have a second chance at using this up as the ceiling medallion in my dining room. And yes, this time I will definitely wait for help. I have learned my lesson the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment